Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Northern Ireland; Belfast? More like Belfabulous.


So the adventures in the Emerald Isle continue! For the last 2 days I've been exploring Northern Ireland; for those of you not on top of your geography/history, it is a separate country from the Republic of Ireland.

Started out by heading up to Derry, the site of "Bloody Sunday" where 13 unarmed Catholic civil rights protesters were shot in 1972. 6 of the people were only 17 years old. It was a great opportunity to learn more about the history of the area. Although I took a tour of the city, I learnt much more chatting with locals about the "troubles" that occured in the past. Derry is also a walled city, so I took a walk along them (they are 8 metres wide) and then hit the local pub! My favourite feature of Derry was their WW2 memorial statue; it had been made for another town, but they said it was too violent so Derry said "we'll take it!". Hah! You'll have to see the pics! The dude is making a motion of stabbing someone else with his gun!

Next onto Belfast which I liked immediatly; the town just reeks of optomism. The guide I had spoke candidly about the past decades and how the city has re-invented itself. I cruised the 2 divided neighbuorhoods and then passed the "peaceline". While enjoying the best latte of my life, I tried to get some style tips from all the hip, young business people... none of them were wearing Berks or carrying massive bags... hmmm...

So off to Paris tonight and then I will meet up with the infamous Tina King on the 27th! Can't wait!

1 comment:

como said...

Ann - County Armagh in N. Ireland is where some of my old family peeps are from, you may have past thru it already! I've never been but it sure sounds great!

You certainly seem to be enjoying the drink on these tours...Cheers to you! Where did you find the tours to join up with?

Coll