Monday, July 30, 2007

France; 2 Canadians in Paris




Instead of being on the beach right now in Bayonne/Biarritz, I am in a very nice orange internet cafe in Paris... apperently, you should reserve a spot on a train rather than just show up 3 minutes before. Now I know. Bah. (Christie - the next available train was at 6:25! agh!) So now I think I've mapped out the next week of travel including hostels and trains. It's a lot of work!

Anyways, Paris has been just lovely. I think I have seen all the main sights now; the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Musee d'Orangerie, Champs Elysees, Arc de Triumph etc. Yesterday Christie and I stood on the Champs for 5 hours to get a good spot for the final stage of the Tour de France! It was totally worth it though to see those guys speed by! I can't believe the size of the pellaton! (sp?)

It was wicked to reconnect with Christie - we completely embraced the stereotypical French diet of great cheese, bagettes, crepes, quiche and wine.... with the additional supplement of Nutella. We've cruised the groovy neighbourhoods, bought new scarves and drank espresso like Parisenes. Yesterday we joyously made our way back to the hostel with new tour de France umbrellas, dancing along to American in Paris (just for the figure skaters - it was very Jose Chouinard of us.... pink and orange dresses and such) :)

I just thought of something I had to add! Cathie - Christie and I were wishing you and I were at the art galleries with us to guide us around! I had an excellent time at the Musee D'Orsay, Musee D'Orangerie and of course the Louvre. I started getting a little museum ADD after about 2 hours which I thought was quite respectable. lol. I loved the paintings by Degas, Modigliani, Cezanne, Soutine and of COURSE VanGogh and Monet. For those many of you that have lived with me, you know that I have dragged VanGogh's "Starry Night" half way around Canada - to see the real thing was just awesome. I also had no idea that Monet's "Waterlilys" were so large! They are _ huge canvases that take up 2 oval shaped rooms; also very neat.

Gotta jet here and go book some trains! I'm off to Bayonne/Biarritz tonight, then Dijon, then to Brussells!

PS - Yes, it is true; I have cracked and gone to Starbucks. Mmmmm....

2 comments:

como said...

Have some mustard for me in Dijon! Hah!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Rose Fluxes said...

How wonderful that you and your sister could share in some caffeinated beverages! Not surprisingly, sounds like your experiences have been incredible and I'm sure they'll continue to be. You be good now! So Jealous.