Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ireland; Fan-feckin'-tastic




So I have been running around Ireland for 3 days now! On the 1st day, I saw the Rock of Cashel (when St. Patrick introduced Catholisism), through Cork and then to Blarney Castle! I gave the stone a big smootch. To be honest, I'm not totally sure that getting the "gift of gab" from the Blarney stone is worth the risk of catching something wicked from the 1000 other people that kissed it that morning! Little gross. Later that night we travelled to Killarny for some good food and good times. Wicked cover band who played 99 Red Balloons (Rose you would have died!).

2nd day was spent cruising around the Dingle Peninsula which has, incidently, been named one of the 10 best spots on earth by National Geographic. Breathtaking cliffs and amazing views of the Atlantic. The town of Dingle was pretty cute as well. I bought my best souvinear of the trip so far there... The new Harry Potter! Yes! No time to read yet though. We then spent the night in Doolin which is known as the home of traditional Irish Music. Drank a couple pints to some good music with good company! Later in the night we ran into Rachel Dratch (from SNL) who had a drink with us. Pretty cool lady. And I now know that a night out in Ireland is not complete without a booze-fueled trip to the local graveyard. Too funny.

Oh, and have I mentioned that Ireland is damn COLD! I had to use my new scarf and all my layers. I think I need to head further doen south soon!

Today, I saw the Cliffs of Moore which are as amazing as they look in pictures. Then off to the oldest Whiskey Distillary in Ireland (250y) for a small tasting. Still don't really like it but it was much better than Scotch Whiskey! (Kate you were right!)

Once I had returned to Dublin, I decided to spend an extra day there seeing as the city itself is incredibly fun and I was travelling with a great group of people. The first night back in town we went on a "Musical Pub Crawl" which was terrific! It was hosted by 2 young traditional Irish musicians. These guys took us to a couple pubs around Dublin and taught us a lot about REAL Irish music. The next day was pretty well consumed with the Guiness Brewery Tour. It was definitly worth going; 7 floors of everything you ever wanted to know about Guiness! Once you reach the top floor with a panoramic view of Dublin, you really earn that free pint! I read the best quote at the factory from an old school doctor:

""I often prescribe GUINESS, and for the following reasons in chief. A bottle of GUINESS put in front of, say, a dispirited, health greedy convalescent has a wonderfully auto-suggestive cheer-producing effect. It looks potent and jolly and when consumed it acts as a stomachic and whip to the appetite. It makes the patient feel better and eat better and think cheerfully."

Off to Northern Ireland next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Killarney beautiful!! Where are you staying there? And is Dingle part of the Ring of Kerry tour?....I seem to be experiencing a bit of deja vu in reading your blog. It's a bit disgusting how smooth that stone is too, isn't it.....how many lips now have the 'gift of gab.' I nearly soiled my pants bending over backwards to kiss it, hope you're not scared of heights!