Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lovely La Fortuna - August 2008



So I see I have fallen behind in my blogging! Agh! Must mean I´m much to busy doing things that are more fun!

So the final day in Monteverde was wicked. After exploring the forest all Am, we toured a coffee plantation in the afternoon! Some of you may know that I enjoy the "odd" cup of joe, so I was super psyched to see this place! The tour was called "Don Juan´s" coffee tour as the plantation belonged to this 73 year old Costa Rican man - Don Juan himself! He made the tour to show travellers what a Costa Rican farm looked like 100 years ago so there were other crops as well like beans and corn. The property was gorgeous, and set in the middle was a beautiful cafe to enjoy, what else, but a steaming cup of Don Juan´s cafe. I learned about how coffee is grown, collected and roasted etc. which was pretty cool. I think I knew more then the average tour-ee as I spent many a summer at the academy of CCT. :) At the end of the tour I grabbed a steaming cup of light roast which I thought was terrific. I brought a couple mini bags for the real coffee drinkers out there!

The next morning we were whisked off to La Fortuna, home of the famous Arenal Volcano. We patted ourselves on the back about 150 times for choosing the 3 hour, scenic taxi-boat-taxi route of travel rather than the 8 hour public bus around the lake! We were also lucky to meet Lorna, Chris and Jim there, 3 coolcats from the UK, who became our bestest friends for the next 48 hours or so!
So the first afternoon, we traveled up to Arenal for a 3-4km hike around the jungly base of the volcano. Not too strenuous, but very beautiful. I have to warn you, I have about a trillion pictures of this volcano from every angle you can imagine! We then travled to the SW side to await the lava flow at dark. So we waited. And Waited. And then it rained. A lot. So... long story short, we spent the next 3 hours at the wet bar at the mineral springs instead of waiting for lava. I think everyone agreed it was a good call! My pina colada tasted extra delicious as I sipped it 1/2 submerged in soothing vocanic warmed water! This place also had killer waterslides which we all agreed, would not pass Cadanian safty standards - really fun though. Exit speed had to be about 70km/hr. All that bathing makes you really hungry so we capped off the night with a couple pizza pie´s from "Luiggi´s."

The next morning Taylor and I went on an all day safari to the wildlife refugee know as Cano Negro. It is located about 2 hours N of La Fortuna, right next to the Nicaraguan border. We spent a leisurely 4 hours floating on muddy rivers watching crocodiles, birds and tonnes of monkeys!! We ever saw a "blond" monkey which is appearantly really rare, and due to a recessive gene. Ate a delicious meal with our crew and enjoyed a couple bottles of wine, all this to watching a football match of Costa Rica vs. El Salvador. Couldn´t imagine a better night!

This Am, we said good bye to our new friends and checked out a brilliant 70 meter waterfall just out of town. It was incredible. We went for a swim right below it and could really feel the incredible amout of power! The pics are awesome.

This evening, we made out way out to Liberia where we fly out from tomorrow. Sad to be done our adventure but happy to have some cleaner clothes in the near future. And today is Taylor´s 26th birthday! Hurrah! Not too much partying to be had here, but we had a good celebration last night.

Annie out.

No comments: