Saturday, August 16, 2008

Adventures in Costa Rica - August 2008


Ola!

Annie´s blog is back with avengance as I take on my next adventure! I will be in Costa Rica for the next 9 days travelling mostly in the Northwestern part of the country. I am travelling with my good friend from Med School, Taylor, who turns out to be quite handy as he speaks WAY more Spanish than me! I picked Costa Rica as the place to travel as
1. Spending all that time in PG makes you crave warm places
2. I wanted to explore the varied landscapes - jungles, volcanos, beaches oh my!
3. Seemed like fun!

Anyways, we flew into Liberia via Houston without a hitch. The airport was really tiny and reminded my of flying into Guyana. Not quite feeling bold enough for public transpot, we grabbed a cab and made our way to Playa Hermosa, a small town on the Nicolya penninsula. Our place was fantastic and located in an enormous tropical garden approx. a 1 minute walk to the beach! The beach was perfect, only a handful of people sprinkled along the 2km coastline and amazingly warm, blue water. For dinner we ate at the ¨Pescado Loco¨(crazy fish!) which turned out to be an excellent choice. Tried our first ¨ceveche¨ which is raw seafood marninated in lime juice and cilantro. Quite delicious! The best way to describe it is tasting like Aunt Cathie´s salsa over lime flavoured shrimp - and you KNOW I love AC´s salsa!

Anyways, yesterday we started making our way East towards Monteverde, the ¨Cloud Forrest.¨ We are currently in Tileran which is a really lively little place with a huge garden in the centre of town. Lots of music pumping from every direction and many ¨Soda´s¨ which are like little diners which serve common fare. Now we are just waiting for our bus to whisk us away to the cloud forrest!

More soon!

No comments: